Are you considering using a home remedy for bed bugs?
If so, you would probably appreciate a service being offered by the health department at Sioux Falls City Hall in the United States.
They have been using real live bed bugs as part of their latest project.
The bed bugs are kept safe and sound – and secure – inside the City Hall under the care of Health Department Representative Denise Patton.
She said that it helps people understand what they are looking for if they can actually see the real thing.
Side Note The Video starts after the short advert
In fact, just as is happening in many other areas, there has been an increase in the numbers of bed bugs that have been reported there. And this initiative in Sioux Falls is designed to help landlords, tenants and home owners to understand what they are looking for.
For anyone wanting to check their home for bed bugs here are the five top things that need doing.
Home Remedy For Bed Bugs – 5 Things You Need To Do
And here are five things you can get started with right now.
Check out the places where they will most likely be waiting. That means:-
- The mattress and along its seams.
- The bed frame and headboard – especially where there are any small gaps or cracks – this is where they will want to hide.
- Check the bed-side table, under and inside the alarm clock and phone
- In any nearby cracks and crevices in the wall, skirting boards and floorboards.
If you are considering using a home remedy to deal with bed bugs, click on this link for the Three Things You Should Know About Home Remedies.
- Vacuum and Clean Up
- Using a hand-tool on the vacuum cleaner, suck up any bed bugs, eggs and/ or feces as you find them.
- Some bed bug eggs may need scraping off to dislodge them from sticking.
- Get the bedding and any loose covers that have been affected by bed bugs and put them into the wash – at a high temperature.
- When the washing cycle is complete, either hang them out in the hot sun or put on a hot cycle in the clothes dryer.
Deep vacuum and/ or steam clean carpets and rugs (clean rugs front and back).
Scrub and clean the mattress, particularly at the seams.
When the mattress is perfectly dry, encase it in a waterproof, fully sealed mattress cover such as the AllerZip Bed Bug Proof Mattress Cover
- Fill in the cracks and crevices – especially those in the wall, skirting boards and floor edges around the bed. Doing this will give the bed bugs nowhere to hide.
- Tidy up and clean the areas where you found evidence of bed bugs (see number one point, above)
Make sure you check back regularly to keep control.
And to do the job really thoroughly, check out the Three Things You Should Know About Home Remedies
And the last word should come from Denise Patton at the Sioux Falls City Hall. During one of the demonstrations she was giving, one of the bed bugs bit her. She said that she thought the bed bug was happy now that it had had a taste of blood – but she definitely was not!
This post has been about the home remedy for bed bugs – 5 things you need to do. If you have any questions, please just contact me.